We have been going 24/7 today is the first time I have had a chance to write and it not be midnight. To catch up the first day of the Games were amazing. We began the day at 5 am; it’s hard to sleep much longer considering 5 am here is 4 pm in Texas. We headed to the Olympic Green at 7am and thought taking the subway would be the best route that morning. This was two hours prior to the start of the Heptathlon. The subway was a BIG mistake the bus that took us there was no problem but once we got to the subway station there were thousands of people, but what we have learned here is one for all and all for one, you just push your way through. Ron, Julie and I were all holding on to each other for dear life in hopes of not losing each other. We had 3 subway transfers to get there, which means getting off one subway line and getting on to another, all I wanted to do was stay where I was I did not want to get off once we were on I was in fear of the masses. The first transfer was the scariest, we were in line to get on to the train there were people in front and in back, you had no way out. I was holding my breath imaging what was going to happen when the train would arrive. All of a sudden I could hear the train coming we all latched on to each other and gave each other a possible one last look, all of us had a little fear in our eyes. The door opens and it was a blur I moved but I don’t think I was moving my feet. I was face to face with the door and could go no further I struggled to turn around to see Ron and Julie, we all had made it in. When you get on the subway in the States you let people off and then you proceed to enter, not here. To get off you have to push, much like a Salmon trying to spawn, so we went into spawning mode to get off. Once we safely made it through the subway an hour and a half later and 2 years older, we had 30 minutes to get to the venue, but wait the line to get through security was huge. Thirty minutes later we made it through security, there security here is so tight not like in the States. Diana was in the 5th heat so we knew we should have until 9:15 so once through security we had 15 minute to make the mad dash to the stadium. When you see the stadium you could not do anything but stop and stare in awe of the massiveness of the structure, it is truly a sight to see. Ron and I were running until we reach the gate to enter the stadium and thought we were in the right area, but no she directed us to a stairway I looked up, and already in heavy sweat mode saw the tallest stairway I had ever seen in my life. Ron went dashing up, I followed but realized there was no way that I could continue having to walk feeling I would never reach the summit. I finally made it walked through the tunnel and into the stadium and chills ran from my head and the way down, I now know the feeling Diana had when she saw the inside of this incredible facility. I had to again just stop and stare it just takes your breath away, to think of such a moment is beyond words. Ron and I finally get to our seats, sweat just pouring, but we made it as they had just finished heat three of the heptathlon 100 hurdles. Can you imagine making the way to China and missing the first race. This was some major stress, but we did it. We were set to go cameras on Diana and geared to go and then as you know disaster hit at the end of the race. The next day Diana was doing better, but I know watching the second day of the Hepthalon was hard for her, yet happy to see her teammate win the bronze medal.
The jet lag has been hard we all are struggling once it reaches 6 pm. The evening track sessions start at 7 pm we all struggle to stay awake. We have not adjusted to this yet and we are on our 5th day here. We are having a great time, yesterday we all went to the Great Wall and what an amazing sight, it’s hard to believe this wall is 4,100 miles long all in the mountains in very rugged terrain. You wonder how in the world they build this by hand. We took a gondola up the mountain and tobogganed down that was so much fun! Well today’s adventure is to the Summer Palace where there are beautiful parks and then back to the Olympic venue for evening track. Tonight there are some good races and some finals to see. Hopefully tonight the jet lag will ease.
The jet lag has been hard we all are struggling once it reaches 6 pm. The evening track sessions start at 7 pm we all struggle to stay awake. We have not adjusted to this yet and we are on our 5th day here. We are having a great time, yesterday we all went to the Great Wall and what an amazing sight, it’s hard to believe this wall is 4,100 miles long all in the mountains in very rugged terrain. You wonder how in the world they build this by hand. We took a gondola up the mountain and tobogganed down that was so much fun! Well today’s adventure is to the Summer Palace where there are beautiful parks and then back to the Olympic venue for evening track. Tonight there are some good races and some finals to see. Hopefully tonight the jet lag will ease.
3 comments:
I must say it's good to see you all together enjoying the great wall.Is it Mutianyu (spelling??)
I hope the hamstring is better. We were all so disappointed and concerned for you on Friday. NBC had nothing until Friday about noon on woman's track and field. I must tell you that you made this olympics much more exciting for us to anticipate and watch.We look forward to 2012.
Toots, If you need new glasses go to the silk market and they'll make your script in an hour. Armani frames, trifocal, transitional lenses $100. us.Negotiate. They have much sporting equip. & clothing there also: ping, addidas etc for golf and other sporting stuff too. Crocs Enjoy!
What an adventure!!! How exciting! Well it is funny mom, you guys finally leave town and the temp high back in Texas is in the mid 80's!!! It is awesome, and we are actually getting some rain too. Jules we could have had a couple good rain dates :) Running has been perfect in this unusaul Texas weather...but I am sure when you four get back here it will be blazing hot again :) I am so glad you guys are enjoying the sights!! That taboggan thing looks like a blast! They have showed it quite a bit on tv. Mom I saw you on the today show too! Janet saw you first thing in the morning, but I saw you again at the end from a pre-recorded segment from earlier in the evening. Also Diana you were showed quite a bit from that first race!! The camera loved you!! You looked so pretty too. They talked about you more than Hyleas when they show that race. It aired at least four times...so for not getting to do much you were seen quite a bit over here on the tube!! I hope your hammy is feeling ok! Well I have got to go tend to the kiddos! Mom--Kloe slept till 10:30 today!!! It was awesome!! Love those days. Well I miss the four of you a ton, my poor phone is lonely with me not talking on it so much :) Have a great day!
Love you guys,
Katie
Diana,
Did not get to see any of your events but am so excited for all your hard work that you made it to China. I know it will be something you will never forget and you can be proud of being an Olympic athlete.
A friend of Kimberly Massey, Jeanne & Stan McGlothlin, Texas
Post a Comment