Friday, August 8, 2008
Unbelieveable
WOW.............it was amazing. I will start from the beginning of my experience. We all met below our buildings at about 5:15pm. From there we walked to the buses, it was crazy if you looked down the row you could not even see the end, it was bus after bus waiting for all the athletes. From there all the USA athletes headed into the fencing building and entered the 'media room'. We were all grouped by sport, except track which was broken up into many groups. There we were suppose to hear from the President of the United States, George Bush. After 15mins of waiting we heard he was arriving and everyone had there cameras ready, but in comes the Basketball team. Because they are so high profile they do not come on the same buses as us 'other athletes', haha! It was pretty cool though, Lebron James, Carmello Anthony(got pics of them too), and many others came strolling in, all the athletes went pretty crazy taking pictures. After about ten minutes of that they organized us and announced the entrance of the President of the United States!!!! He was accompanied by his wife Laura Bush, George Bush SR, and one of his daughters, Barbara. He talked for just a couple minutes and then took pictures with each individual group. He started at the other end so we had a little bit of a wait, but while he was doing that Former President Bush walked around the other side and met with each group. I took a picture with him and he told me to smile when I felt the pinch! Hahaha he was a funny man. I also got a picture with his daughter Barbara, I talked to her for a little bit about being from Dallas, she was super nice. We finally made our way around to George Bush and I have a really cool picture with him and all the field athletes. He shook all of our hands and was very friendly and nice. After that I met with the first lady, who was also very nice and upbeat. From there we walked over to the gymnastics building where all the other countries were waiting . As we sat in there, there was a big screen that would show when each country was up to begin the walk into the stadium. As we sat and waited countries tried to start the wave, others broke out in dances, and others cheered every time a country was called. Finally our country was called....number 140. We gathered and formed lines of 10. I was in the third row on the inside, I was walking in lane one. As we made our way to the stadium fans and helpers lined the streets cheering and yelling Kobe Bryant's name( they love him here)!!!!! As we were just about to walk into the stadium the whole US team was chanting USA USA USA, it was crazy!! At that moment when we walked in I was overwhelmed. we took our lap and waved to the crowd, on the back curve is really when I started to cry and thinking I am walking in the opening ceremonies of the Olympic Games!!!!! Some one next to me said "we are in best place in the World right at this moment"! He was right, it was truly amazing. After that all the rest of the teams walked their lap and the Olympic oath was made. I know by now all of you have seen the lighting of the torch, it blew us all of our feet( Mom I know you were waiting for that moment to see what they would do and I bet you did not think of that)!!! Well.......after standing for many hours it was worth every bit of foot pain;) I had the time of my life. Now it is competition time!! I will now focus all my attention towards August 15 the start of my Heptathlon, but last night will never ever be forgotten!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
21 comments:
Di we saw you in the Opening Ceremonies!!!! Julz helped by letting me know you were in the 3rd row, 1st lane, so we knew where to look. We were so excited to see you waving and smiling away, we saw Jackie kind of in front of you too. It was the most amazing opening ceremonies I have ever seen, and it was overwhelming thinking you were there! We just kept saying Diana is there, Diana is there!! Loved reading your post too, hope you told President Bush hi for me! :) What a magical experience, and to be a part of something so important and historical is sooo special. I am so happy for you and can't wait to hear more when you are home. ON TO THE HEP! :) Miss you!
miss you too!!! love you guys
I have been soooo annoyed with all the coverage of the basketball players!!!!!!!!!! I am so glad it was all and more :-))))))))) AAAAMMMMAAAAZZZZIIIINNNNGGGG
and we saw you!!!!!!!!! From a far away shot then we caught a close shot of the bottom of you face!!!!!
What a great ceremony! Unfortunately I did not see you. I must have blinked. Looking forward to seeing the pictures. Great post. You have a real talent for descriptive writing! Who knew? Glad to see that Rowlett high school education paying off! Ha!
Go get 'em!
Coach Young
I am speechless!! WOWWWWWW Diana! I welled up again reading how awesome that was! I cannot believe we saw you too on TV!! How cool was that! Love you bunches!!!!
I just finished watching the Opening Ceremonies and the lighting of the torch. Followed by a good blowing of the nose after a good cry. I think it all hit me at that moment and I fell apart just a bit, good thing no one was here to see it. We watched all of the Ceremonies last night other than the end with the torch lighting and we saw you coming in they were quick shots but we saw you! I think the Ceremonies were so incredible, amazing how they can synchronize so many people. They were the most beautiful Ceremonies I have ever seen. I can only imagine what it was like for you being there! We are starting to pack this weekend only 3 days, will Tuesday ever get here. Can't wait to see you.
Love Ron and Mom
Damn... I just figured this out, and I typed you a long message and it was just deleted because I didn't know I had to sign up first:) You know me Pick. All I have to say about last night is wow... that was absolutely amazing. My Mom, and Dad were watching it with me and we were all just in aww of what you are apart of. Megan was calling me the entire time with questions, she is so excited too. I started balling when I saw you!! That was the coolest thing ever to see. I wanted to go out on the porch and shout "THATS MY BEST FRIEND" but I didn't:) You were on the front page of our paper today as well. You were walking fixing your hair... weird:) No its really cool and I'm saving it for you. I love that we can chat here. Ron did a great job of putting it together. Pick I just can't wait to see more pictures and hear about the next adventure. I love you and miss you so much!!
hey Diana,
in watching after knowing where you were, we saw you, a great shot of your beautiful smile. I am continuously in awe that someone I know, much less am related to is in China and in the Olympics. Continue to drink it in.
We can't wait till the 15th.
Love Aunt Debbie and Uncle Bill
Tara and Joy said, "there's Diana, There's Diana.... so excited
Hi Diana:
We set the DVR for the opening ceremonies, so now we show everyone we know, you, walking into the opening ceremonies with that big smile. This is so exciting for us, I can't even imagine how you are taking this all in. But take in every bit. This is an experience so few people will ever have in their life. You are a great writer and I enjoy reading your blog. Keep your eye on the prize and remember, there are alot of people here being the wind at your back. We are very proud.
Wow! The opening ceremony was amazing...And so much fun watching knowing that we might see someone that we actually know! We're so proud of you and can't wait to watch you compete. I think Jon mentioned bragging rights. Geez, even the checker guy at Trader Joes knows about you...we've done some bragging of our own. We love reading your post, so keep them coming!! Gary & Traci
Hey cuz! I still can't believe that youre over there right now in the Olympics, it's unbelievable. It sounds like the opening ceremonies were amazing and we had fun trying to find you in crowd :). We are all so proud of you and cant wait to see you compete. Love you and cant wait to hear more about your stay over there.
P.s unlike katie miller and my mom this was my first post and i didnt have it deleted :)
Look at Jeff the stellar blogger!!But I will say that my first post was not deleted either :)
Diana, Best wishes from Wichita, Kansas - I am Ron's cousin. The Opening Ceremonies were amazing - I would hate to be the next country hosting. We have always loved the Olympics and every TV in our house has them on - I don't like to miss a thing!!! I cried when I read your post - this is your reward for all of your hard work. Can't wait for the 15th.
Pam
Awesome, awesome, awesome. How exciting!!!! I looked so hard for you but didn't catch a glimpse. Oh well I was so excited knowing you were there. Can't wait til the 15th and know you will do your best ever. You are so deserving! Love your post and look forward to reading every day. Love you Diana!
Just got the link to here Di -- I am so happy for you - I can't begin to imagine your fellings as an athelete in the Olympics - but I can take a good guess ). Me and Paula be cheering ya on - along with all the players in my guild - and all the people I work with. Already told the boss I cant work the 15th or 16th ) - I want be right front the tele.
ron,
can you give us a play by play of the hept.
So my last links didn't work so well so I'll try again.
Hey D! I'm so proud. I thought I'd post a couple of links from the news about you in the Seattle area :)
Seattle Times Story
Seattle PI
My parents saved the actual articles for you.
Love xoxo
fixy
;) Thanks sooooo much everyone I love reading your comments
Diana
U knew that was your smile!! I couldn't see your face but I saw Jill (the shot putter from Stanford) and I saw your smile behind her!! I couldn't believe it and my little Terina was yelling USA! USA! What an amazing experience for you and I'm sure this is just the beginning of so many wonderful experiences that life has in store for you. Good Luck Di!
Post a Comment